Friday 11 September 2009

Say no to Poundbury!


A couple of months back, I enthusiastically greeted the Scottish Planner in its new format, thinking that this was the way of the future and an open platform for all sorts of debate about the work of leading Scottish town planners, like me - but in colour. Well you know, I must admit to being very disappointed with the new issue, especially the bit about Poundbury written by somebody from that great firm Halcrow who have a worldwide reputation for giving people what they want.

I've never been to Poundbury but I believe it is a film set sort of village designed by Leslie Krier who it has been said is a Nazi apologist and who dresses in a very strange manner. Supposedly Prince Charles also had a hand in putting it together and of course it is very popular with the English because of that - they just can't resist the allure of royalty. Anyway, this article written by a scribe at Halcrow is a disgrace. What's worse is that Halcrow sponsor the Scottish Planner so they probably have a lot of editorial control - so it was easy to get this stuff published.

Now I don't mind a bit of a laugh but to imagine that there are any lessons here for hard working planners at the sharp end of Scottish developments is nonsense. You won't find cutting edge housebuilders like Taylor Wimpey or Persimmon indulging in this nonsense - unless it's the only way that they could get planning permission of course. You know, these guys are really on the ball so if that's what it takes to get the development through, I'm sure they would do it. Let's show the Prince a thing or two and build our own way - like Glasgow Harbour or Leith Docks. By the way, I saw some of the Leith developments recently - a gold star and a big tick to the folk who did that - very impressive.

2 comments:

Conservation Officer said...

"I've never been to Poundbury (that never gets in the way of a critic) but I believe it is a film set sort of village designed by Leslie Krier who it has been said is a Nazi apologist and who dresses in a very strange manner...You won't find cutting edge housebuilders like Taylor Wimpey or Persimmon indulging in this nonsense - unless it's the only way that they could get planning permission of course."

Hmm, well. Leon Krier is a bit right wing, to say the least, but having expected to hate the place when I was there last Tuesday even more than I hated it when I was involved with it over a decade ago, it won me over almost completely.
The comment about getting planning permission is quite right though - and just shows how much tougher we need to be against the "any old shite'll do" mentality of the likes of Wimpey. Persimmon, on the other hand, have built quite a bit at Poundbury.

Dave Thompson said...

Thank you very much for your comments and insight - much appreciated. I must have a look at this place one of these days - every best wish, Dave